Trying与 Doing One’s Best的区别
Trying, or Doing One’s Best

Trying与 Doing One’s Best的区别

Trying, or Doing One’s Best

00:00

Trying与 Doing One’s Best的区别

Trying, or Doing One’s Best

2019-11-12

“try”和“do one’s best”之间有细微但重要的区别。


今天我们来回答来自中国的艾伦的问题。
Today we answer a question from Alan in China.

我想知道" try "和" do one’s best "的区别。
I’m wondering about the difference between “try” or “do one’s best.”

我的英语老师告诉我它们是一样的。
My English teacher told me they are same.

但我相信每个词都不同。
But I believe every word has a difference.

你能帮我吗?——艾伦,中国
Can you help me? - Alan, China

亲爱的艾伦,
Dear Alan,

谢谢你的来信,是的,我们可以帮忙!
Thank you for writing, and yes, we can help!

你的老师说得对,这两个短语可以表示相同的意思。
Your teacher is right that the two expressions can mean about the same thing.

但是你是对的,“try”和“do one’s best”之间有细微但重要的区别。
But you are right that there is a small but important difference between “try” and “do one’s best.”

“Try”意味着努力,试图完成或完成某事。
“Try” means to make an effort, to attempt to accomplish or complete something.

但这种努力可能成功,也可能失败。
But the effort may or may not be successful.

例如:
Like this:

我试着做功课,但太难了,我不得不放弃!
I tried to do my school work, but it was so hard I had to give up!

那个人正在努力,但没有完成工作。
The person was trying, but did not finish the job.

现在,让我们看看“do one’s best”。
Now, let’s look at “do one’s best.”

“Do”这个词的意思是执行一个动作或活动。
The word “do” means to perform an action or an activity.

这表明工作正在进行。
It suggests that the work is happening.

“One ’s best”意思是尽最大的努力或注意力在工作上。
“One’s best” means to put your maximum effort or attention into the job.

下面是这个短语在句子中的意思:
Here’s how the expression sounds in a sentence:

我的功课很难,但我尽力把它做好。
My school work was hard, but I did my best to get it right.

我甚至在课后留下来让老师给我解释。
I even stayed after class to ask my teacher to explain it to me.

这个人为完成工作付出了额外的努力。
This person made an extra effort to get the work done.

他想出了寻求帮助的方法。
He figured out how to get help.

他不仅仅是在努力,他是在尽自己最大的努力!
He was not just trying, he was doing his best!

然而,有时人们说他们正在努力,但他们没有投入太多的努力。
However, sometimes people say they are trying, but they are not putting in much effort.

这意味着他们没有尽力。
That means they are not doing their best.

这就是你能真正看到“trying”和“doing your best”的区别。
This is where you can really see the difference between “trying” and “doing your best.”

这取决于努力。
It can depend on effort.

正如一位智者曾经告诉我的:“尝试并不总是成功。”
As a wise person once told me, “Trying is not always doing.”

这些话是我生活的准则……
Those are words I try to live by…

以上就是本期《名师答疑》的全部内容。
And That’s Ask a Teacher!

安妮·鲍尔为您播报。
I’m Anne Ball.