“Read Someone Like a Book”和“Write a Book on Something”
Read Someone Like a Book or Write a Book on Something

“Read Someone Like a Book”和“Write a Book on Something”

Read Someone Like a Book or Write a Book on Something

00:00

“Read Someone Like a Book”和“Write a Book on Something”

Read Someone Like a Book or Write a Book on Something

2019-11-10

现在是VOA慢速英语节目“词汇掌故”栏目。在这个节目中,我们探索英语中的单词和短语表达。我们还可以谈论它们的来源。对于英语学习者而言,更重要的可能是,我们要解释如何使用这些词语以及何时使用。


现在是VOA慢速英语节目“词汇掌故”栏目。
Now, the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories.

在这个节目中,我们探索英语中的单词和短语表达。
On this show, we explore words and expressions in the English language.

我们还可以谈论它们的来源。
We can also tell where they come from.

对于英语学习者而言,更重要的可能是,我们要解释如何使用这些词语以及何时使用。
And probably more importantly for those learning to speak English, we explain how and when we use these terms.

阅读对于世界各地的人们而言都是一项很受欢迎的活动。
Reading is a popular activity for people all over the world.

没有什么可以比拟沉浸于一本好书中。
There is nothing quite like getting lost in a really good book.

这是种特别的体验。
It can be a special experience.

随着故事中的人物变得鲜活起来,其中的那些小问题也就消失了。
Minor problems melt away as the characters in the story seem to come to life.

书籍的最棒之处在于,它们可以带你到任何你想要去的地方!
The best part about books is that they can take you anywhere you want!

它们甚至可以带你到不存在的地方去。
They can take you to places that do not even exist.

通过阅读一个个故事,我们还可以更好地了解我们周围的世界和人们。
We can also understand the world around us and its people better by reading stories.

因此,美国人有时会使用含有“book”(“书”)的表达也就不足为奇了。
So, it is no surprise that Americans sometimes use expressions involving the word "book."

今天,我们将讨论两个这样的表达。
Today we will talk about two such terms.

这两个表达都使用在谈论书籍时会用到的两个主要动词:“reading”(“阅读”)和“writing”(“写作”)。
Both use the two main verbs you need when talking about a book -- "reading" and "writing."

让我们先从读者的角度开始讨论其中一个表达。
Let us begin with an expression from a reader’s point of view.

以下例子听起来像是一项令人愉快的活动——“ reading someone like a book”。
The following example sounds like an enjoyable activity -- reading someone like a book.

然而,“to read someone like a book”指的是你非常了解这个人,而且通常是以一种不好的方式。
Yet "to read someone like a book" means that you know the person very well -- and usually not in a good way.

我们经常在一些特殊情况下使用此种表达。
We often use this expression in special situations.

(比如)有人可能试图骗你,但你知道他们的真实意图。
A person may be trying to trick you, but you know their true objectives.

换句话说,您能看穿他们想要骗你或其他人的意图。
In other words, you can see through their attempts to fool you or someone else.

现在,让我们听听在这两个同事之间的交流中是如何使用此表达的。
Now, let’s hear how this expression is used in this exchange between two co-workers.

A:你让他同意这笔交易了吗?
A: Were you able to get him to agree to the deal?

B:没有。他没有签署协议。
B: No. He didn’t sign the agreement.

A:没有他的签名,我们就拍不了这部电影。
A: Without his signature, we cannot make the movie.

B:你以为我不知道吗!
B: Don’t you think I know that!

我以为这是板上钉钉的事情了。
I thought it was a sure thing. He said he was really interested.

他说非常感兴趣。
So, I took him to dinner.

所以我才带他去吃饭。
I spent a lot of money on a bottle of wine.

光买瓶红酒就花了我不少钱。我甚至还给了他下周末那个早已抢购一空的演出的前排座位。
I even offered him front row seats to that sold-out show next weekend.

A:然后他还是没有签字。
A: And he still didn’t sign.

B:在我看来,他对签订合同没兴趣。
B: If you ask me, he had no interest in signing the contract.

他只是想要免费的晚餐甚至更多!
He just wanted a free dinner and more!

A:是的,他对你的心思了如指掌(he read you like a book)
A: Yes, he read you like a book.

那么,这就是含有动词“read”“的表达。
So, that is an expression with the verb "read."

现在,让我们转到含有“to write”的表达。
Now, let’s turn to one with the words “to write.”

当你成为某方面的专家时,可能会写本书。
When you become an expert at something, you may write a book about it.

毕竟,许多专家都会把他们知道的东西写出来。
After all, many experts write about what they know.

他们想分享自己的专业知识或为自己谋求名声,或者两者兼有之。
They want to share their expertise or make a name for themselves. Or both.

无论如何,我们使用“to write the book on something”这一表达都是用来描述某人对某事非常了解。
In any case, we use the expression to write the book on something to describe a person who knows a lot about something.

而且此人不需要真正有书出版。
And this person does not need to have published an actual book.

但是将两者结合在一起就可能变得有趣起来,如以下示例所示。
But it can be funny to tie the two together, like in the following example.

A:最近怎么这么忙?
A: What’s keeping you so busy these days?

几周没见到你了。
I haven’t seen you in weeks.

B:我正在准备建材考试。
B: I am studying for my exams on building materials.

但是我遇到了很多问题。
But I’m having a lot of trouble.

我不确定哪种材料最适合防御自然灾害,哪种材料最不适合。
I’m not sure what materials are the best or worst for natural disasters.

A:你应该和马德琳谈谈。
A: You should talk to Madeline.

B:玛德琳?
B: Madeline?

她擅长处理在灾区盖房问题吗?
Is she good with building homes in disaster areas?

A:你是认真的吗?
A: Are you serious?

在自然灾害建设方面,从地震到飓风,她可是前沿专家。
She is THE leading expert on building for natural disasters, from earthquakes to hurricanes.

B:我不知道。
B: I had no idea.

A:哦,对了! 她不仅非常熟悉,还真的写了本关于这个主题的书。
A: Oh yeah! She wrote the book on th subject – literally and figuratively.

总之,你想借她的书吗? 我有个复印本。
In fact, do you want to borrow her book? I have a copy.

B:是的。还有,请给我她的电话号码。
B: Yes. And please give her my number.

我非常愿意向她请教!
I would love to pick her brain!

这就是本期“词汇掌故”的全部内容。
And that’s all for Words and Their Stories.

我们下次见,我是凯利·简·凯利,感谢安娜·马特奥。
Until next time, I’m Kelly Jean Kelly, for Anna Matteo.