我有事跟你说道说道
I Have a ’Bone to Pick With You’

我有事跟你说道说道

I Have a ’Bone to Pick With You’

00:00

我有事跟你说道说道

I Have a ’Bone to Pick With You’

2019-10-31

我们在生活中很多时候都会跟别人产生分歧或矛盾。也许是有人做了什么事或说了什么话让我们不高兴。但是,最好不要让这些问题恶化。


现在是美国之音慢速英语词汇掌故节目。
Now, the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories.

在这个节目中,我们将仔细研究英语中的单词和表达。
On this show, we take a closer look at words and expressions in the English language.

我们将解释它们的来源、如何用以及什么时候用。
We explain where they come from and how and when to use them.

我们在生活中很多时候都会跟别人产生分歧或矛盾。
There are many times in life when we have disagreements or problems with other people.

也许是有人做了什么事或说了什么话让我们不高兴。
Maybe someone does something or says something that upsets us.

但是,最好不要让这些问题恶化。
But, it is best not to let these issues fester.

当伤口恶化时会感染和疼痛。
When a cut or wound festers, it becomes infected and painful.

恶化也能用于描述一个问题变得更加糟糕。
And, "fester" is also used to describe a problem that gets worse.

如果你不在乎医学形象,你也可以使用stew这个动词。
If you do not care for that medical image, you can also use the verb stew.

当我们焦虑某些事情的时候,我们对它想得太多,以至于它成为我们的一个大问题。
When we stew over something, we think about it so much that it becomes a big problem for us.

Stew over something是指我们对它感到沮丧或焦虑。
When we stew over something, we are upset or worried about.

我们闭口不谈这个让我们困扰的问题。
We do not talk about the problem bothering us.

我们对它感到焦虑,直到它在我们的脑海中变成一个更大的问题。
We stew over it until it becomes much bigger in our own minds.

如果你对某个未解决的问题感到焦虑,或者是让它恶化,它可能就会成为一个大问题。
If you stew over an unresolved problem, or let it fester, it can become a big issue.

你可以称它为争议点。
You might call it a bone of contention.

这个短语来自于16世纪。
This phrase comes from the 16th century.

想象一下两只狗在争夺骨头。
Imagine, if you will, two dogs fighting over a bone.

这个“骨头”就是引发两人争议的问题所在。
The "bone" is the contentious issue that two people fight over.

“有争议的”描述了可能引起人们争论或异议的事物。
"Contentious" describes something that is likely to cause people to argue or disagree.

例如,政治界有太多有争议的问题。
For example, the world of politics has far too many contentious issues to name.

如果我想一一例举,那一整天也说不完。
If I tried, we would be here all day!

所以,未解决的问题只会让事情变得更糟。
Okay so, unresolved issues often only get worse.

说出来会有所帮助。
Talking about them can help.

但是你如何提出这个问题呢?
But how do you raise the issue?

好吧,你可以跟那个人说:“我有事跟你说,这事跟你有关,我得解决它。”
Well, you could say to the person, "I have something upsetting to discuss with you and it is something that you did and I need to resolve it."

但是这样说太啰嗦了。
But that is quite long.

值得庆幸的是,我们确实有一句短语能表达出相同的意思,但是句子更短更有趣。
Thankfully, we do have an expression that means the same thing but has fewer words and is more interesting.

你可以直接说:“我有事跟你说道说道。”
Instead, you can simply say, "I have a bone to pick with you."

与“争议点”一样,这句短语也出自16世纪的狗。
As with "bone of contention," this phrase also comes from dogs during the 16th century.

这一次,这些狗是要争抢骨头上的肉。
This time the dogs are struggling to pick the meat off of a bone.

如果你使用这句短语,其他人会理解成:一是你想讨论你脑海中的问题,二是他们惹了什么事。
If you use this expression, the other person will understand that a) you have a problem on your mind that you want to talk about and b) they did something to cause that problem.

我们把这句话用于亲朋好友之间。
We use this expression with our friends and family.

它不太正式,但是我们也能用于工作场合。
It is a little informal but we can also use it at work.

下面我们来听听两个朋友之间用这些短语进行的对话:
Now, let’s hear two friends use these expressions:

史蒂夫今晚回来参加聚会吗?
So, is Steve coming to the party tonight?

可能吧。
Probably.

那就好。
Good.

为啥?你脸上怎么是这种表情?
Why? And why do you have that look on your face?

什么表情?
What look?

生气的样子。
Your angry look.

如果你一定要知道的话,是我有事要跟他说道说道。
If you must know -- I have a bone to pick with him.

不要再来一次啦。这次是什么事情。
Not again. What is it now?

好吧,我得先跟史蒂夫谈谈。
Well, I’d rather talk to Steve about it first.

你可以在其它时间跟斯蒂夫解决你们的争执。
Look, you can take care of your bone of contention with Steve some other time.

我不希望你俩在我的聚会上冲着对方大喊大叫。
I don’t want you two yelling at each other at my party.

你为什么觉得我们会大喊大叫?
What makes you think we’re going to yell?

因为你上次跟他有事说道,最终是以大喊大叫告终。
Because the last time you had a bone to pick with him, it ended in a yelling match.

啊,对。好吧,我答应你这次不会再那样了。
Oh, right. Well, this time it won’t come to that. I promise.

我们会在厨房里私下谈谈。
We’ll talk in the kitchen. It’ll be more private.

别,不要去厨房谈。你俩去车库解决问题。
No, not the kitchen! Take up your issue with him in the ... garage.

那里更加私密,也没什么东西让你砸。
It’s more private and there are fewer things for you to break.

好吧。
Agreed.

以上就是本期词汇掌故节目的全部内容。下期节目再见。安娜·马特奥为您播报。
And that is the end of this Words and Their Stories! Until next time ... I’m Anna Matteo.