“What Do You Do?”和“What Are You Doing?”的区别
What Do You Do or What Are You Doing?

“What Do You Do?”和“What Are You Doing?”的区别

What Do You Do or What Are You Doing?

00:00

“What Do You Do?”和“What Are You Doing?”的区别

What Do You Do or What Are You Doing?

2019-10-08

今天我们将回答来自伊马德的提问。他写道:“我想知道“What Do You Do?”和“What Are You Doing?”这两句话的区别。什么时候用这两句话?”


今天我们将回答来自伊马德的提问。
Today we answer a question from Emad.

他写道:“我想知道“What Do You Do?”和“What Are You Doing?”这两句话的区别。
He writes, “I would like to know the difference between what do you do? and what are you doing?

什么时候用这两句话?”
When do you use both?”

亲爱的伊马德:问得非常好。
Dear Emad,Those are excellent questions.

这两个问题,一个是对某人的工作或职业进行提问,另一个是对某人当时或不久的将来在做什么进行提问。
One question is about a person’s work or profession, and the other is about what action a person is doing at the moment, or in the near future.

我们将首先以对工作的提问为例。
We will take the work example first.

假设你在聚会上遇到某人。
Imagine that you meet someone at a party.

对方问你:‘What do you do?’( ‘你是做什么的?’)
The person asks you: ‘What do you do?’

他们的意思是:‘你以什么谋生?’ 或‘你的职业是什么?’
What they mean is: ‘What do you do for a living? Or ‘What is your profession?’

你可以回答他们你所做的工作,例如:“我是作家”或“我是医生”或“我开公共汽车”。
You would answer them by stating the kind of work you do, like this:“I am a writer,” or “I am a doctor” or “I drive a bus.”

现在,转到另一个问题。
Now, on to the other question.

可能你接到一个电话,你的朋友问:“你在做什么?”
Maybe you get a phone call and your friend asks:“What are you doing?”

他们不是在问你以什么谋生,而是在那时你正在做什么活动。
They are not asking what you do for a living, but what activity are you doing at that time.

你可能这样回答:“我在读一本书。书很棒!”
Your answer might be something like this:“I’m reading a book. It’s great!”

或者“我正在为家人做饭。”
or“I’m cooking dinner for the family.”

有时,提问“What do you do…” 时间上可能涵盖一天或一段时间。
Sometimes, the question “What do you do…” may include a day or period of time.

例如,有人可能会问:“What do you do on weekends?”( “你周末做什么?” )
For example, someone may ask, “What do you do on weekends?”

在这种情况下,他们问的是你通常在周末做什么活动。
In this case, they are asking what activities you usually do on weekends.

而不是在问你的职业。
They are not asking about your profession.

你可能会这样说:“我通常会做些轻松的事情,和朋友外出或进行其他活动,比如锻炼或跑步。”
Here is an example of what you might say:“I usually take things easy, go out with friends or do other activities, like exercise or go for a run.”

但是,如果在提问“What are you doing?”中加上时间段,就是在问某人在不久的将来某一特定时间内正在从事的活动。
However, when you add a time period to “What are you doing?,” you are asking what activity the person is doing at a specific time in the near future.

例如:“今天下班后你要做什么?”
Here is an example:“What are you doing after work today?”

这个人可能会说:“我正在考虑出去吃晚餐。
One might say:“I am thinking of going out to dinner.

你想和我一起去吗?”
Do you want to come with me?”

以上就是本期《名师答疑》的全部内容。
And That’s Ask a Teacher!

我是安妮·鲍尔。
I’m Anne Ball.